It's Official: CVS Is Buying Aetna Inc (AET) For $69 Billion

NYSE: AET | Aetna Inc. Common Stock News, Ratings, and Charts

AET – CVS to buy Aetna in a $69B deal. Aetna investors will receive $145 a share in cash, $62 in stock, in deal to be announced Sunday – WSJ.

After weeks of speculation, the deal is official: Aetna Inc (NYSE:AET) will be acquired by CVS Corp (CVS) for $69 billion in a cash-stock deal.

Reuters has details on the move, which will prove to be an interesting combination of two healthcare giants — assuming regulators approve the deal:

This year’s largest corporate acquisition will combine one of the nation’s largest pharmacy benefits managers (PBMs) and pharmacy operators with one of its oldest health insurers, whose national business ranges from employer healthcare to government plans.

The deal comes after Aetna’s $37 billion plan to acquire smaller U.S. health insurance peer Humana Inc (HUM.N) was blocked in January by a U.S. federal judge over antitrust concerns. A proposed combination of peers Anthem Inc (ANTM.N) and Cigna Corp (CI.N) was also shot down.

In pursuant to the deal, Aetna shareholders will get $207 per share, with $145 per share in cash and 0.8378 CVS shares for each Aetna share they own. All in all, Aetna shareholders will own about 22% of the combined firm, while CVS shareholders will own the remaining 78%.

The move comes amid speculation that Amazon will soon make a big push into the healthcare space, possibly into prescription drugs. In turn, CVS is looking to rapidly expand its MinuteClinic offerings. “When you walk into CVS there’s the pharmacy. What if there’s a vision and audiology center, and perhaps a nutritionist, and some sort of care manager?” CVS CEO Larry Merlo said in a recent interview.

Aetna Inc shares rose $4.66 (+2.57%) in premarket trading Monday. Year-to-date, Aetna Inc. (AET - Get Rating) has gained 48.03%, versus a 20.00% rise in the benchmark S&P 500 index during the same period.

Aetna Inc. (AET - Get Rating) currently has a StockNews.com POWR Rating of A (Strong Buy), and is ranked #3 of 12 stocks in the Medical – Health Insurance category.

9 "Must Own" Growth Stocks For 2019

Get Free Updates

Join thousands of investors who get the latest news, insights and top rated picks from StockNews.com!

Top Stories on StockNews.com

NASDAQ: IOVA | Iovance Biotherapeutics, Inc. News, Ratings, and Charts

8 Extreme Value Stocks

POWR Rating of A + 44-99% upside potential = 8 extreme value stocks to explore today.
: APRN | Blue Apron Holdings, Inc. Class A Common Stock News, Ratings, and Charts

What caused Blue Apron Holdings (APRN) stock to tank today?

Shares of Blue Apron sank amid announcement of reverse stock split
: CGC | Canopy Growth Corporation Common Stock News, Ratings, and Charts

Canopy Growth (CGC) reminds shareholders to vote in favor of a potential acquisition

Canopy Growth encourages shareholders to vote before the deadline Monday at 10:00 am
NYSE: SLB | Schlumberger N.V. Common Stock News, Ratings, and Charts

After recent weakness, is oil services company Schlumberger (SLB) a Buy?

Schlumberger's deep pullback could be a good opportunity for value investors
NYSE: DIS | Walt Disney Company (The) Common Stock News, Ratings, and Charts

Disney (DIS) is on track to set a box office record this year, is their stock a Buy?

Disney could earn more than $9 billion at the global box office

Read More Stories


More Aetna Inc. Common Stock (AET) News View All

Event/Date Symbol News Detail Start Price End Price Change POWR Rating
Loading, please wait...
View All AET News
Page generated in 2.1474 seconds.