MKM Partners’ proprietary survey suggests a year of continued momentum forÂ Lululemon Athletica inc.Â lululemon athletica inc. (LULU - Get Rating) 2.32%, but the research firm said multiple concerns could impact upcoming quarterly results.
The main findings from MKM’s survey completed March 21 include:
- The percentage of those surveyed who shopped at Lululemon within the last month fell from 34 percent a year ago to 26 percent. An “exceptionally strong” 48 percent ofÂ males surveyedÂ shopped within the past month versus 20 percent of females. A slowdown in Canada was observed from 20 percent last year to 15 percent.
- NewÂ customer growth trendsÂ were favorable, as 6 percent of people surveyed started shopping at Lululemon within the past month. While this does mark a slowdown from 11 percent in January, it still supports ongoing traffic growth,Â MeyerÂ said.
- Forty-percent of those surveyed said Lululemon’s product assortment is now better versus three to six months ago. Only 5 percent said it is worse.
- Recent spending trends mark the first negative read, with 27 percent of those surveyed said they are spending less versus 20 percent who are spending more.
- Twenty-nine percent of those surveyed said they plan to shop more often at Lululemon over the next three to six months. Among those who plan on shopping more, necessity was the most-cited reason, while those who plan to shop less highlighted price/value.
MKM’s survey points to encouraging longer-term trends, but also a pullback in quarter-to-date spending, the analyst said.
MKM revised its first-quarter comp estimateÂ from 11 percent to 7 percent. The consensus estimate isÂ 8 percent. The firm also lowered its first-quarter EPS estimate from 68 cents to 65 cents; the consensus estimate isÂ 67 cents.
Lululemon shares were up 2.77 percent at $147.18 at the time of publication Monday.
lululemon athletica inc. shares were unchanged in after-hours trading Monday. Year-to-date, lululemon athletica inc. (LULU - Get Rating) has gained 20.53%, versus a 12.14% rise in the benchmark S&P 500 index during the same period.
This article is brought to you courtesy of Benzinga.