Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC): Price and Financial Metrics
GET POWR RATINGS... FREE!
NSC POWR Grades
- NSC scores best on the Quality dimension, with a Quality rank ahead of 86.03% of US stocks.
- NSC's strongest trending metric is Growth; it's been moving up over the last 177 days.
- NSC ranks lowest in Value; there it ranks in the 21st percentile.
NSC Stock Summary
- NSC has a higher market value than 96.26% of US stocks; more precisely, its current market capitalization is $57,255,780,017.
- With a one year PEG ratio of 218.46, NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP is expected to have a higher PEG ratio (a measure of how expensive a stock is relative to its expected earnings growth) than 89.01% of US stocks.
- NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP's stock had its IPO on January 1, 1986, making it an older stock than 93.49% of US equities in our set.
- If you're looking for stocks that are quantitatively similar to NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP, a group of peers worth examining would be FDX, CNC, CP, PNC, and CHTR.
- Visit NSC's SEC page to see the company's official filings. To visit the company's web site, go to www.norfolksouthern.com.
NSC Valuation Summary
- In comparison to the median Industrials stock, NSC's price/sales ratio is 140% higher, now standing at 4.8.
- Over the past 243 months, NSC's price/sales ratio has gone up 3.5.
Below are key valuation metrics over time for NSC.
NSC Growth Metrics
- Its 2 year price growth rate is now at 45.58%.
- Its 3 year revenue growth rate is now at -1.41%.
- Its 5 year price growth rate is now at 50.44%.
The table below shows NSC's growth in key financial areas (numbers in millions of US dollars).
|Date||Revenue||Operating Cash Flow||Net Income to Common Stock|
NSC's Quality FactorsThe “Quality” component of the POWR Ratings focuses on 31 different factors of a companies fundamentals and operational strength. Here are some key insights as we drill into the specifics of these quality attributes.
- NSC has a Quality Grade of B, ranking ahead of 89.98% of graded US stocks.
- NSC's asset turnover comes in at 0.284 -- ranking 71st of 137 Transportation stocks.
- CSX, UNP, and PTSI are the stocks whose asset turnover ratios are most correlated with NSC.
The table below shows NSC's key quality metrics over time.
|Period||Asset Turnover||Gross Margin||ROIC|
NSC Stock Price Chart Interactive Chart >
NSC Price/Volume Stats
|Current price||$242.35||52-week high||$299.20|
|Prev. close||$242.55||52-week low||$203.65|
|Day high||$244.55||Avg. volume||1,338,973|
|50-day MA||$231.28||Dividend yield||2.04%|
|200-day MA||$244.45||Market Cap||56.11B|
Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC) Company Bio
The Norfolk Southern Railway (reporting mark NS) is a Class I freight railroad in the United States. With headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, the company operates 19,420 route miles (31,250 km) in 22 eastern states, the District of Columbia, and has rights in Canada over the Albany to Montréal route of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and previously on CN from Buffalo to St. Thomas. NS is responsible for maintaining 28,400 miles (45,700 km), with the remainder being operated under trackage rights from other parties responsible for maintenance. The most common commodity hauled on the railway is coal from mines in Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. The railway also offers the largest intermodal network in eastern North America. (Source:Wikipedia)
Most Popular Stories View All
NSC Latest News Stream
|Loading, please wait...|
NSC Latest Social Stream
View Full NSC Social Stream
Latest NSC News From Around the Web
Below are the latest news stories about NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP that investors may wish to consider to help them evaluate NSC as an investment opportunity.
The Zacks Transportation - Rail industry is gaining from a favorable freight environment. This bodes well for stocks like UNP, CP, CSX and NSC.
If you're not sure where to start when looking for the next multi-bagger, there are a few key trends you should keep an...
This article is part of a series that covers Class-1 railroads in North America, covering Norfolk Southern. See why I confirm my Hold rating on NSC stock.
Cowen analysts on Wednesday said the possibility of the first U.S. rail strike since 1991 is currently at about 30% after statements earlier this week from union members. "Channel checks suggest that customers are already pulling freight off the rails as strike risk rises," analyst Jason Seidl said in a research note. Back in September when a potential work stoppage had loomed ahead of the midterm elections, Seidl projected a roughly 15% chance of a rail strike. While Congress appears motivated to intervene if a strike takes place, Seidl said he''s seeing "clear stubbornness from both sides that is likely increasing animosity" and that strike sentiment appears to be growing and shippers are taking action. The president of the Association of American Railroads said Monday, "The window co...
The deal is expected to boost Norfolk Southern's (LUV) railway operations geographically.
NSC Price Returns
|Ex-Dividend Date||Type||Payout Amount||Change|
|Loading, please wait...|