Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC): Price and Financial Metrics
NSC Price/Volume Stats
|Current price||$228.03||52-week high||$261.71|
|Prev. close||$226.47||52-week low||$183.09|
|Day high||$229.24||Avg. volume||1,382,994|
|50-day MA||$200.95||Dividend yield||2.38%|
|200-day MA||$211.28||Market Cap||51.57B|
NSC Stock Price Chart Interactive Chart >
NSC POWR Grades
- Momentum is the dimension where NSC ranks best; there it ranks ahead of 79.83% of US stocks.
- NSC's strongest trending metric is Growth; it's been moving down over the last 177 days.
- NSC ranks lowest in Growth; there it ranks in the 3rd percentile.
NSC Stock Summary
- NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP's market capitalization of $44,521,721,438 is ahead of 94.97% of US-listed equities.
- NSC's went public 37.89 years ago, making it older than 93.05% of listed US stocks we're tracking.
- The volatility of NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP's share price is greater than that of merely 11.66% US stocks with at least 200 days of trading history.
- If you're looking for stocks that are quantitatively similar to NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP, a group of peers worth examining would be PSX, RSG, LVS, TRV, and WBD.
- NSC's SEC filings can be seen here. And to visit NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP's official web site, go to www.norfolksouthern.com.
NSC Valuation Summary
- In comparison to the median Industrials stock, NSC's EV/EBIT ratio is 11.61% higher, now standing at 17.3.
- Over the past 243 months, NSC's price/earnings ratio has gone up 7.7.
Below are key valuation metrics over time for NSC.
NSC Growth Metrics
- The 3 year revenue growth rate now stands at -1.41%.
- Its 4 year net income to common stockholders growth rate is now at 41.54%.
- Its year over year net income to common stockholders growth rate is now at 31.67%.
The table below shows NSC's growth in key financial areas (numbers in millions of US dollars).
|Date||Revenue||Operating Cash Flow||Net Income to Common Stock|
NSC's Quality FactorsThe “Quality” component of the POWR Ratings focuses on 31 different factors of a companies fundamentals and operational strength. Here are some key insights as we drill into the specifics of these quality attributes.
- NSC has a Quality Grade of B, ranking ahead of 89.98% of graded US stocks.
- NSC's asset turnover comes in at 0.284 -- ranking 71st of 137 Transportation stocks.
- CSX, UNP, and PTSI are the stocks whose asset turnover ratios are most correlated with NSC.
The table below shows NSC's key quality metrics over time.
|Period||Asset Turnover||Gross Margin||ROIC|
Norfolk Southern Corp. (NSC) Company Bio
The Norfolk Southern Railway (reporting mark NS) is a Class I freight railroad in the United States. With headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, the company operates 19,420 route miles (31,250 km) in 22 eastern states, the District of Columbia, and has rights in Canada over the Albany to Montréal route of the Canadian Pacific Railway, and previously on CN from Buffalo to St. Thomas. NS is responsible for maintaining 28,400 miles (45,700 km), with the remainder being operated under trackage rights from other parties responsible for maintenance. The most common commodity hauled on the railway is coal from mines in Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. The railway also offers the largest intermodal network in eastern North America. (Source:Wikipedia)
NSC Latest News Stream
|Loading, please wait...|
NSC Latest Social Stream
View Full NSC Social Stream
Latest NSC News From Around the Web
Below are the latest news stories about NORFOLK SOUTHERN CORP that investors may wish to consider to help them evaluate NSC as an investment opportunity.
As risk-tolerant investors turn to growth stocks, there are some dividend stocks that still offer a solid total return.
Passive investing in an index fund is a good way to ensure your own returns roughly match the overall market. While...
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Shaw will address the Stephens Annual Investment Conference. Details on listening to the event follow below.
Cincinnati voters on Tuesday approved selling Cincinnati Southern Railway to Norfolk Southern for $1.62 billion. The post Cincinnati voters approve sale of city-owned railroad to Norfolk Southern appeared first on FreightWaves.
The London Company, an investment management company, released “The London Company Large Cap Strategy” third quarter 2023 investor letter. A copy of the same can be downloaded here. Shares of larger companies performed better as stocks traded lower across the market cap spectrum for the third consecutive quarter, indicating a preference for growth. The fund declined […]
NSC Price Returns
|Ex-Dividend Date||Type||Payout Amount||Change|
|Loading, please wait...|