Caterpillar, Inc. (CAT): Price and Financial Metrics
CAT Stock Summary
- Caterpillar Inc's market capitalization of $125,878,618,424 is ahead of 98.22% of US-listed equities.
- The capital turnover (annual revenue relative to shareholder's equity) for CAT is 2.71 -- better than 82.27% of US stocks.
- Caterpillar Inc's stock had its IPO on January 1, 1986, making it an older stock than 92.8% of US equities in our set.
- Stocks with similar financial metrics, market capitalization, and price volatility to Caterpillar Inc are DE, IBM, RTX, MMM, and RDS.A.
- Visit CAT's SEC page to see the company's official filings. To visit the company's web site, go to www.caterpillar.com.
CAT Stock Price Chart Interactive Chart >
CAT Price/Volume Stats
|Current price||$228.89||52-week high||$237.78|
|Prev. close||$232.46||52-week low||$100.22|
|Day high||$233.43||Avg. volume||3,222,950|
|50-day MA||$222.57||Dividend yield||1.8%|
|200-day MA||$177.15||Market Cap||124.81B|
Caterpillar, Inc. (CAT) Company Bio
Caterpillar is a manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company principally operates through its three product segments - Construction Industries, Resource Industries and Energy & Transportation - and also provides financing and related services through its Financial Products segment. The company was founded in 1925 and is based in Peoria, Illinois.
CAT Price Forecast Based on DCF Valuation
|Current Price||DCF Fair Value Target:||Forecasted Gain:|
The table below illustrates the output of a discounted cash flow forecast using a variety of scenarios for Caterpillar Inc. To summarize, we found that Caterpillar Inc ranked in the 27th percentile in terms of potential gain offered. Our DCF analysis suggests the stock is overvalued by about 69%. In terms of the factors that were most noteworthy in this DCF analysis for CAT, they are:
- The company's compound free cash flow growth rate over the past 5.56 years comes in at 0.01%; that's greater than only 24.34% of US stocks we're applying DCF forecasting to.
- CAT's estimated cost of debt, based largely on its market capitalization and its interest coverage ratio, is 3%; for context, that number is higher than just 11.34% of tickers in our DCF set.
- The weighted average cost of capital for the company is 9. This value is greater than just 6.87% stocks in the Industrials sector that generate free cash flow.
|Terminal Growth Rate in Free Cash Flow||Return Relative to Current Share Price|
CAT Latest News Stream
|Loading, please wait...|
CAT Latest Social Stream
View Full CAT Social Stream
Latest CAT News From Around the Web
Below are the latest news stories about Caterpillar Inc that investors may wish to consider to help them evaluate CAT as an investment opportunity.
Photo by MikeyGen73/iStock via Getty Images Caterpillar (CAT) is considerably overvalued. Our models indicate that current price doesn't match with historic trends. We think that the business is quite strong. However, it doesn't justify the current valuation. Caterpillar stock is currently trading 50% higher compared to its pre-pandemic levels. The...
Investors aren't guaranteed an out at $10 on the price chart, but these sub $10 SPACs look primed for stronger weeks ahead.
Packaging Corp's (PKG) Q1 results are likely to reflect solid packaging demand for critical products amid the pandemic. However, lower paper demand and higher costs might have dented the margin.
CFRA Research Analyst Elizabeth Vermillion joins Yahoo Finance Live to discuss what to expect from the industrial sector after Biden unveiled his infrastructure plan.
Cathie Wood, the CEO of ARK Invest, is known for finding hypergrowth names with upside potential. The three largest holdings in ARK's six actively managed funds are Tesla, Square, and Teladoc. By contrast, The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) will celebrate its 125th anniversary on May 26.
CAT Price Returns
|Ex-Dividend Date||Type||Payout Amount||Change|
|Loading, please wait...|