Southern Company (The) (SO): Price and Financial Metrics
GET POWR RATINGS... FREE!
SO POWR Grades
- SO scores best on the Stability dimension, with a Stability rank ahead of 76.05% of US stocks.
- The strongest trend for SO is in Momentum, which has been heading down over the past 48 weeks.
- SO's current lowest rank is in the Momentum metric (where it is better than 17.64% of US stocks).
SO Stock Summary
- SO has a higher market value than 96.18% of US stocks; more precisely, its current market capitalization is $67,351,910,029.
- Of note is the ratio of Southern Co's sales and general administrative expense to its total operating expenses; just 0.42% of US stocks have a lower such ratio.
- The volatility of Southern Co's share price is greater than that of only 2.36% US stocks with at least 200 days of trading history.
- Stocks with similar financial metrics, market capitalization, and price volatility to Southern Co are DUK, D, SRE, TRP, and AEP.
- SO's SEC filings can be seen here. And to visit Southern Co's official web site, go to www.southerncompany.com.
SO Valuation Summary
- In comparison to the median Utilities stock, SO's price/sales ratio is 10.34% higher, now standing at 3.2.
- SO's price/earnings ratio has moved up 9.9 over the prior 243 months.
- SO's price/sales ratio has moved up 1.4 over the prior 243 months.
Below are key valuation metrics over time for SO.
SO Growth Metrics
- The 5 year net cashflow from operations growth rate now stands at -4.58%.
- Its year over year net income to common stockholders growth rate is now at -3.94%.
- The 4 year net income to common stockholders growth rate now stands at 50.34%.
The table below shows SO's growth in key financial areas (numbers in millions of US dollars).
|Date||Revenue||Operating Cash Flow||Net Income to Common Stock|
SO's Quality FactorsThe “Quality” component of the POWR Ratings focuses on 31 different factors of a companies fundamentals and operational strength. Here are some key insights as we drill into the specifics of these quality attributes.
- SO has a Quality Grade of C, ranking ahead of 46.37% of graded US stocks.
- SO's asset turnover comes in at 0.176 -- ranking 73rd of 105 Utilities stocks.
- ATO, CEQP, and ED are the stocks whose asset turnover ratios are most correlated with SO.
The table below shows SO's key quality metrics over time.
|Period||Asset Turnover||Gross Margin||ROIC|
SO Stock Price Chart Interactive Chart >
SO Price/Volume Stats
|Current price||$63.40||52-week high||$67.54|
|Prev. close||$63.61||52-week low||$52.01|
|Day high||$64.08||Avg. volume||4,016,211|
|50-day MA||$65.08||Dividend yield||4.15%|
|200-day MA||$62.58||Market Cap||67.13B|
Southern Company (The) (SO) Company Bio
Southern Company is involved in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity through coal, nuclear, oil and gas, and hydro resources in the states of Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi. The company was founded in 1945 and is based in Atlanta, Georgia.
Most Popular Stories View All
SO Latest News Stream
|Loading, please wait...|
SO Latest Social Stream
View Full SO Social Stream
Latest SO News From Around the Web
Below are the latest news stories about Southern Co that investors may wish to consider to help them evaluate SO as an investment opportunity.
Georgia Power highlights waterway conservation efforts for third week of Environmental Awareness Month
In honor of the third week of Environmental Awareness Month this September, Georgia Power is highlighting its efforts around improving and protecting Georgia's waterways and the species that live in them, such as shoal bass.
Georgia Power's storm teams, dispatched to help restore power through the Mutual Assistance Network after Hurricane Ida's devastating landfall in Louisiana and Mississippi, have returned safely to Georgia this week after a 17-day deployment.
Southern Company announces redemption of Series 2016A 5.25% Junior Subordinated Notes due October 1, 2076
ATLANTA, Sept. 16, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Southern Company today announced the redemption, on October 18, 2021 (the "Redemption Date"), of all $800 million aggregate principal amount of its Series 2016A 5.25% Junior Subordinated Notes due October 1, 2076 (the "Notes") (NYSE: SOJB). The
The Southern Company Gas Charitable Foundation is announcing plans to donate $700,000 across its service territories to charities in support of improving equity and social justice.
Georgia Power highlights sensitive species conservation efforts for second week of Environmental Awareness Month
In honor of the second week of Environmental Awareness Month this September, Georgia Power is highlighting its efforts around protecting sensitives species such as the gopher tortoise, which is Georgia's state reptile and considered a keystone species.
SO Price Returns
|Ex-Dividend Date||Type||Payout Amount||Change|
|Loading, please wait...|